Repair It-Don’t Replace It-Concrete Steps
Repairing Concrete Steps instead of Replacing-Job Notes, Suggestions, and Hints.
Whether it is downturn of economy or people choosing to save money, many of my clients are choosing to “Repair rather than Replace” the materials used in the construction of their home or business.
In the photos you can see:
- How the prior concrete patch job had deteriorated and made the Concrete Steps a Safety Issue for the homeowner.
- Quick and Easy Concrete Form for Repairing Concrete Walkway
- Materials used to Repair / Resurface the Concrete Steps (Home Depot Products)
- Rapid Set Cement – Multi-Purpose Construction Material
- Quikrete 1-Gallon Concrete Bonding Adhesive
- Quikrete 1 qt. Acrylic Fortifier
- Concrete Reinforcing-#4 Rebar- 1/2 in.
- Hammer-Drill w/ 1/2 Concrete Bit and Flat Bit
- Concrete Floats and Edgers
- Screw Gun
- Wire Brush
- To increase the life expectancy of this concrete patch and increase the adhesive properties. (A)An acrylic bonding agent was used in the mixture of Concrete and Water. (B) Surface Bonding Agent applied to clean surfaces before patch was installed. The working time for the patch will be under 15 mins. Only mix enough patch to work small areas ( 1/4 of a 5 Gal Bucket at a time )
- When repairing steps if at all possible start at the top step and work down
- Clean Hand Trowels often to remove adhesive from the Acrylic Agent for a smooth finish that can later be worked into the finished texture (Broom Finish or Swirl Finish)
If you decide that this type of DIY concrete repair is more than you can handle on your own. Scotts Contracting is available to assist you in your project. Fill in the form (provided below) and Scotty will respond asap to your request.
- How to Repair Water Damaged Stucco – Interior(scottscontracting.wordpress.com)
- Resurfacing Old Cocrete to Look New Again(theconcreteprofessor.com)
- ECO CONSCIOUS, GREEN BUILD