In my quest to make school fun we decided to test the power of the sun with some kool solar gadgets. She said it was fun testing the different solar toys and the test results prove that the power of the sun is strongest...
FEELS LIKE 20°
Most recent high temperature much below average.
S at 9 mph
Wind:WSW at 11 mph
Wind:N at 6 mph
1 - Low
2 - Low
Sunny. High around 45F. Winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph.
Mainly clear skies. Low 24F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.
- 1st test: 9:00 AM
- car on roof, and it worked but not real good. we tried it again on a table and it worked better than first time 9:20AM.
- 1st test too windy for windmill
- 2nd test 11:00 AM
- Car went faster
- 2nd Test too windy for windmill
- 3rd Test 1:00 PM
- A little bit slower
- we also learned that if we make a shadow the car will stop
- 3rd Test Too windy for windmill
- After doing the tests I think further testing should be done. With a clock-stop watch.
- 4th Test 4:00 PM
- Move to Front Side of House in Light, Tested New Solar Wind Turbine. Initial Test OK.
FEELS LIKE 51°
S at 8 mph
S at 11 mph
Wind:SSW at 8 mph
2 - Low
2 - Low
Sunny. High 51F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph.
Partly cloudy. Low 34F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.
- Too Windy For Windmill
- Car Test 10:00 am:
- Test Track Length 4 feet long or 48 inches
- 1st Run- 1.7 seconds
- 2nd Run-2.0
- 3rd Run-2.1
- 4th Run-2.2
- 5th Run-2.1
- 10.1 Total
- 2.02 seconds is average
- Average is sum of runs divided by number of runs
- we went 48 inches in 2.02=23.76 inches per second
- Test Procedure:
- we measure the length.
- we put paper over the car so the sun couldn't get to the car.
- Then we time the car to see how fast it goes .
- then we write it on a piece of paper.
- then we take a video and put it on youtube
- Car Test 1:00pm
- 1st Run 1.7
- 2nd Run 1.2
- 3rd Run 1.2
- 4th Run 1.5
- 5th Run 1.7
- Total= 9.2
- we were faster second time then first time because there was more sun.
- we were talking about how the sun moves forward during the day in the afternoon the sun it's brighter
- in the morning it's not really bright in the afternoons it's brighter than the morning is and what made the car go faster
- when the suns closer it's more powerful- in afternoon than the morning. I know that because we tested it and it went faster in the afternoon
We have a few more tests to be done and will start building the Science Project Display Board.
I feel that by encouraging the next generation in the benefits of solar power is a win win for the planet.
Thank you for stopping by St Louis Renewable Energy. Feel free to comment in the section below or contact Scotts Contracting- St Louis Home Improvement Projects and Energy Reducing Needs Get Your Green Building Tips and Resources at St Louis Renewable Energy Green Blog