-- Scotts Contracting - StLouis Renewable Energy: Wallpaper Removal the Easy and Frugal Way

Search This Blog

7.04.2010

Wallpaper Removal the Easy and Frugal Way


by Scotts Contracting

Question: I was recently asked- How did I remove that wallpaper so easily?

Answer: I Bagged It.

Here's how I did it and the equipment I used.

Needed tools

  1. Hudson Sprayer filled with warm water and 1- 2 Table Spoons Dish-washing Detergent

  2. 4 mill Rolls of Plastic or Large 30 Gallon or Larger Trash-bags- (You will need enough plastic to Completely cover the area you are working on.)

  3. Scraping tool of your Choice- I've used 5 ways, Small Sheet Rock Spatulas, etc

  4. Step Ladder

Here's the Simple Steps

  1. Working in 8ftx8ft areas. Using the Hudson Sprayer, set on medium Mist and a Premixed Warm Water Solution of 1-2 Tablespoons of Dish Washing Liquid ( Original Dawn is my Preferred Choice). I mist the walls down until the water solution starts to run down the wall.

  2. Starting at the Top of the Wall of the area I just wet the area down. I place the Plastic against the wall and smooth out any wrinkles.

  • Through trial and error I found that the smoother the plastic is against the wallpaper the faster the water solution will work into the adhesive of the Wallpaper. (Plastic is the Vapor Barrier)

  1. I then re-peat the process until I have the entire walls area covered with the Water Solution and Plastic.

  2. Let sit for ½-1 hour

  3. Remove Plastic and Repeat Steps 1 thru 3

  • I will do this at least 2 times

When the wallpaper's is thoroughly moist with water solution. It is now time to start the removal of the wallpaper.

  1. Once Again starting at the Top of the Wall. I peel the wallpaper off the wall using a combination of scraper and pulling the wallpaper towards the floor with my hands. If you choose to utilize trash-bags the bags for the vapor barrier- they can now be recycled and will now hold the scraps of wallpaper removed from the wall.

  2. After all the wallpaper has been removed I then utilize: a warm soapy solution and Medium Coarse Scrub Pad to remove any left over wallpaper adhesive.

Question- Why does this system work for me?

Answer- Here's the Secret.

The Plastic -'Vapor Barrier' -Keeps the water Solution from Evaporating into the Air and is Absorbed by the Wallpaper's Adhesive instead. When this happens the Adhesive Loses its adhesive properties and is easily removed from the wall surface.

Time Saving Tips

  • Cover the Floor in the area you are working on with a Drop Cloth.

  • Recycle the Plastic Bags to Hold the Wallpaper you Removed.

  • Warm Water Speeds up the Process

If you need assistance with your Projects, Large or Small, Scotts Contracting is available to assist. Use this Link to Email Scotty to schedule a free Estimate on your next project.

Additional Info and Prior Job Site Photos by Scotts Contracting can be viewed at: http://www.stlouisrenewableenergy.com/job-site-pictures.html

--
Scott's Contracting
scottscontracting@gmail.com
http://www.stlouisrenewableenergy.blogspot.com
http://www.stlouisrenewableenergy.com
scotty@stlouisrenewableenergy.com

1 comment:

Post your Comments Below. Spam comments will not be published. webmasters do not store, sell, or spam your email address. Feel Free to You use HTML tags, KEEP IT GREEN, Dont Spam

Connect with Scotts Contracting

FB FB Twitter LinkedIn Blog Blog Blog Blog Pinterest