If you have any questions feel free to either use the Contact Form or# on Right.
Complete plans, Design-Build Assistance for adding a Safe Room to your Building contact Scotts Contracting at the Contact Form on the Right or the Web Page- click here to email and set up a time to discuss your project.
|CAD Safe Room Design for an existing Basement-8in CMU, Steel Door, 6in Reinforced Concrete Ceiling|
|How a CMU Block Wall is Reinforced. Simple CAD Drawing showing the suggested Metal Reinforcement.|
Concrete Ceiling-Structural Reinforcement Suggestions.
Build Notes-Hurricane and Tornado-Safe Room Build Suggestions
- I'll be honest there has always been something that bothered me about the Tornado Safe Room design that FEMA suggested. I was never worried about the Structural Ability of the Safe Room Design to not withstand a Severe Storm-it is the fact of being trapped in a Safe Room- like Jodi Foster in Panic Room. Maybe I've watched too much tv? I'd rather be safe than sorry.
- The fact that 2 exits are not available-as is required of almost any home/room design was the Red Flag going off in my mind and when I finally figured it out I made some notes and a quick sketch. When I got home this evening I sat down and made a couple of quick CAD drawings of the idea to help you get a better idea of what I'm talking about.
- Maybe its just me, but; I'd hate to survive a storm only to die of starvation because I couldn't get out of a safe room in a basement of a home.
- I've seen too many horror stories (Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans) of phones not working, emergency personnel too busy to respond to all the requests...scotty
- There is also the added benefit in the building of the safe room with an exterior point to bring the building materials into the safe room. This will help keep the labor costs lower as it will speed up the job site production by reducing the man hours.
I now feel that I have a Safe Room Design Build Plan that I would build in my own home and am comfortable sharing and discussing the project in detail.
|Safe Room Emergency Exterior Exit|
|Safe Room CMU Basement Steel Door Location|
|Safe Room Exterior Exit Point|
Taking Shelter From the Storm | FEMA.gov
- See more at: http://stlouisrenewableenergy.blogspot.com/2013/05/tornado-safe-room-design.html#sthash.FTgJEhTc.dpuf
Thank You for stopping by-Share and Comment below. If additional information in needed or you have a question let me know. Together we can make a difference. Build a Green StLouis Get Your Green Building Tips and Resources at St Louis Renewable Energy Green Blog